90-minute workshop, Wed., Jan. 24, 2018
2:30pm Eastern | 1:30 Central | 12:30 Mountain | 11:30am Pacific
(You’ll get a recording if you are unable to watch it live).
Sign up now — ALA Store
Everyone knows how to dash off a quick Google search, but do you know how to go deeper with your searching? This webinar will show you how to search for many types of information effectively: websites, news, images, videos, statistics, maps, books, definitions, translations, and more. You’ll learn tips for Google, Wolfram Alpha, and several other search engines.
- Advanced tips for Google searching
- Pros and cons of Google’s search personalization and how to turn it off
- Searching other parts of Google: News, Translate, Videos, Books, Google Scholar, and Maps
- Protecting your search privacy: using DuckDuck Go or Private mode in your web browser
- Social media search tools and when to use them: Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest
- Multimedia searching: videos, podcasts, images, and how to filter by usage rights, color, and other criteria
- Finding old websites with the Wayback Machine
- Finding data, statistics, and much more with Wolfram Alpha
- Searching by voice with Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant
- You’ll learn how to search Google and other search engines more effectively.
- You’ll learn about several different free search tools and when to use each.
- You’ll get information you can use to teach your patrons about searching.
Become a Power Searcher
This will be both useful and fun!